Must Haves of the Historical Peninsula

Must Haves of the Historical Peninsula

Must Haves of the Historical Peninsula

Istanbul's historical peninsula is like an open-air museum bearing the traces of time. It reminds visitors of the traces of the past with its unique architectural structures, historical mosques and bazaars. It offers an unforgettable journey intertwined with history on the shores of the Bosphorus.


Sirkeci Station

<p>Sirkeci Station is a train station located in the metropolis of Istanbul. Construction process II. It dates back to the reign of Abdulhamid. As the name suggests, the station, located in the Sirkeci district, is one of the main stations of the Republic of Turkey State Railways in Istanbul. In this sense, it is shown among the most important stations along with Haydarpaşa Station. Sirkeci Station on the European side is transferred to the Municipality of Istanbul in 2015. There is a small station created for temporary purposes in the area where the station is located. The plan of today's station building was drawn by a German architect, A. Jachmund. Granite marbles used during the construction of the station are brought from Marseille. The foundation of the station was laid on February 11, 1888. Two years later, the building was officially opened. During the opening II. Ahmet Muhtar Pasha represents Abdülhamit.</p><p>On the side of the building, the start date of the station is written according to both calendars. In the first period of its construction, Sirkeci Station is very close to the sea. Over time, the station environment undergoes a serious change. The famous restaurant of the station became the meeting point of many well-known writers or journalists in the middle of the last century. The "Orient Express" departing via Paris continues to drop passengers to this station for a very long period of time.</p><p>Another remarkable point of the station is the clock towers. The historical clock tower is located on a stone pedestal. The tower narrows from top to bottom as a structure. Square dial watches are specially brought from Paris. Although there are clocks on all three sides of the tower, only one of them is in working condition today. In a sense, Sirkeci Station is seen as Istanbul's gateway to Europe. The German architect of the station paid attention to the east-west synthesis. For this reason, both an orientalist style and modern lines were preferred.</p>

Basketmakers' Pavilion

<p>As of today, Sepetçiler Summer Palace is considered the headquarters of the Green Crescent. It is known that the historical palace was built by Sultan İbrahim in 1463. The building was built on the city walls that remained from the Byzantines at that time. The most important feature of Sepetçiler Summer Palace is that it is the only structure that has survived to the present day among the structures in the outer garden of Topkapı Palace. The red marbles used in the construction process are specially brought from Darıca. On the other hand, tiles are brought from Iznik region, iron and nails are brought from Samakoy. There is an inscription on the door arch of the Sepetçiler Kasrı. According to the information in this inscription, the pavilion located within the Topkapı Palace was repaired in 1739. Other repairs take place in the mid-1800s. In both repairs, the architectural style of the pavilion does not change. Despite this, in a photograph taken here during the Crimean War, the building has been converted into a barracks.</p><p>There are different rumors about the origin of the name of Sepetçiler Kasrı. According to the belief, Sultan İbrahim always protected the tradesmen of the basket who were just behind this pavilion at that time. Sultan İbrahim decides to repair an old mansion located here. Basketmakers in the region also support him in this process. At the same time, in the following period, basket makers have a similar support in the construction of the pavilion. After all this solidarity, the name of the pavilion was determined as Sepetçiler Summer Palace. However, there are different claims about his name.</p><p>In the early 1920s, Sepetçiler Kasrı was used as a military medicine warehouse for a short time. It is left alone for a while. Even expropriation in 1955 is on the agenda. In 1980, the General Directorate of Foundations undertakes the restoration of this place and uses the place as the General Directorate of Press and Broadcasting. In 1998, it was restored this time by the Eminönü Service Foundation.</p>

Hagia Irene Church Museum

<html><p class="ql-align-justify">Hagia Irene Church, which is the first church of Byzantine, was built on Roman temples by Constantine in 330s. Hagia Irene, which means "Holy Peace" or "Divine Peace" as a word, is located in the first courtyard of Topkapı Palace. Hagia Irene Church Museum, which is visited by thousands of local and foreign tourists every year due to its proximity to Hagia Sophia known all over the world, actually has the title of being the largest Byzantine church in Istanbul that has not been turned into a mosque.</p><p class="ql-align-justify">The Hagia Irene Church, of which construction date goes back to the 4th century and has traces of Byzantine architecture in general terms, was built during the period of Constantine I covering the years 324 to 337. The historical building, which was severely damaged as a result of earthquakes in the 8th and 9th centuries, could not be turned into a mosque as it remained in the place surrounding Sur-ı Sultani, that is, Topkapı Palace, after the conquest of Istanbul. Hagia Irene Church, which has been used for different purposes such as interior ammunition and the weapon warehouse of the Ministry of War, has managed to survive since its first construction without losing its architectural texture.</p><p class="ql-align-justify">The first objects collected in Hagia Irene church, where the first museum works began in Turkey, consisted of Mecma-i Esliha-i Atika known as the Old Weapons Collection and Antiquities Collection. The works moved to Tiled Pavilion in 1875 afterwards were presented to the visitors as a "military museum" until 1949.</p><p class="ql-align-justify">It is also possible to go to Hagia Irene Church Museum, which can be easily reached by getting off at the Gülhane stop of the Kabataş - Bağcılar tram line, by Üsküdar - Eminönü and Kadıköy Eminönü ferries. Hagia Irene Church Museum, which is closed to visitors today, can only be visited with the permission of Hagia Sophia Museum Directorate.</p></html>



Yerebatan Cistern

<html><p>Cisterns were structures built thousands of years ago to take advantage of rain or water transferred by aqueducts from nearby sources. Some examples of such structures dating from the time of the Byzantine Empire can be visited in Istanbul today. Yerebatan Cistern is one of the most interesting examples of these structures. It is located near Sultanahmet Square in Fatih district.</p><p>Interpreted as an engineering genius, it is believed that the Yerebatan Cistern was built on the site of a smaller cistern. The date of construction is 532. It was built by the emperor of the period, Justinianos, to meet the water needs of the Great Palace nearby. Built on a total area of 9,800 square meters, the cistern was based on the storage of water brought from the Belgrade forests in the north of the city through the Bozdogan Aqueduct. Today, about 3 in 2 of its original width can be seen. Other parts are closed. </p><p>The situation of the yeraltı (underground) cistern during the Ottoman rule after the conquest of the city in 1453 is quite interesting. The existence of this structure was not known until the mid-1500s. It has been revealed by chance. The Yerebatan Cistern, which can be visited within certain hours, welcomes you with classical music. Music melodies mixed with the sound of water drops flowing from its ceiling supported by 336 columns, each of which is 8 meters high, add value to the ambiance. There are also ritual-based habits, such as throwing coins into the section called the wishing well. The Yerebatan Cistern, which attracts attention with its lighting elements, is waiting for your visit with its size and striking visuals.</p></html>

Million Stone

<html><p>The Million Stone, located next to the Yerebatan Cistern in the Sultanahmet borough of Fatih district, is the remaining part of the Million column, which makes it possible to measure the distance to all other cities and points. In other words, contrary to what is believed, it is a remnant of a relatively magnificent structure of a monumental nature. The Million Stone was considered the starting point of the long Roman Road made of paving stones. Roman roads were important both in terms of trade and military, facilitating inter-city transportation in ancient times. </p><p>The Million Stone which is located at the entrance to Yerebatan Street opposite Ayasofya (Hagia Sophia), is an unknown relic for most travelers although they have passed many times nearby within 10, 15 meters. </p><p>Meanwhile, its central location of the Chalke Gate that was the entrance of the Byzantine palace, and the striking street surrounded by columns and statues called Mese, were other indicators of the importance given to the Million Stone. Along with many elements around it, the Million Stone was largely destroyed, unable to withstand the fatigue caused by centuries. </p><p>It is believed that the founder of the Eastern Roman Empire in the 4th century Constantine I have made it built. Its first form was a structure (an architectural style called a Tetrapylon) consisting of doors, columns, and a dome. It had statues on it. It is believed to have been destroyed in the 1500s. </p><p>It is a historical relic that is easily accessible and visible with its central location in Istanbul. Today, it is shaped like a rock rising perpendicular to the ruins of water gauge of Ottoman age. A dashboard with explanatory information is present in front of it.&nbsp;</p></html>


Hagia Sophia Grand Mosque

<p>Hagia Sophia is one of the most important and splendid monuments of the world history that managed to survive for centuries. It has been in the favorite position for hundreds of years with its architecture, enormousness, functionality, the art it contains in and magnificence.</p><p>Firstly, we should remind you that it is the biggest church that the East Roman Empire made. This gorgeous structure which was constructed three times at the same place was named ‘Megale Ekklesia’ which means ‘The Great Church’. When it was first made in the 5th century, from that time until the period of the conquest of İstanbul, it was remembered with the name of ‘Hagia Sophia’ which means ‘Holy Wisdom’. Megale Ekklesia which was constructed by the Emperor Constantine in the year of 360 AD, had to be reconstructed by Theodosis II in 415. However, the structure of this time was burnt down by a public rebellion which broke out in that period.</p><p>Today’s Hagia Sophia was constructed by the Emperor Justinian I. The most important two architects of that period Trallesi with the name of today Anthemios from Aydın and Isidoros from Miletos were chosen for this mission. According to the information from the records that reached today, together with Anthemios and Isidoros, 100 architechs and 100 workers under the guidance of these architects were made to work in the construction of Hagia Sophia. In 5 years and 10 months, Hagia Sophia was completed as a result of frenetic works and was opened to the service of Christians.</p><p>Hagia Sophia was used as a church for exactly 916 years after it had been constructed and it was turned into a mosque after Mehmed the Conqueror had conquered İstanbul in 1453 and this time was opened to the service of Muslims. Hagia Sophia was later added Islamic details without touching the Virgin Marry and Jesus figures while it was being turned into a mosque, its architecture was strengthened and preserved with utmost care and with all these reinforces, it took its final shape of today. In the 16th and 17th centuries, preaching chair, maksoorah (area in a mosque which has been screened off), mihrabs (altars) were placed to Hagia Sophia which was already a mosque.</p><p>Hagia Sophia has always been everyone’s favourite with its beauty throughout its history. It was always preserved and especially after being converted into a mosque, it has gone through studies in order to be turned into a complex structure. However, primary school, fountain, a place for accurate timepiece, public fountain, sun clocks, madrasah, minarets that were made in different periods and room of board of trustees were constructed.</p><p>Hagia Sophia which was turned into a museum by Gazi Mustafa Kemal Atatürk after the Republic of Turkey had been founded, thus after the years that is served for two different religions on different dates, was presented to the admiration of people from different ideas and different part of the society.</p><p>When we tell so much about it, we shouldn’t ignore the facts that make it so special and important. The most architectural feature of Hagia Sophia is its dome which is so unusual compared to a church, with its enormousness and height that astonishes a person. The dome standing just in the middle place, while stones and bricks were used in all structure, was laid with light and firm bricks which were specially made in Rhodes to protect it from the earthquakes and disasters because of the slope it had.&nbsp;</p><p>As we said, Hagia Sophia has been a favourite place on every date and Hagia Sophia is always Hagia Sophia. By the year 1847 that period Sultan Abdulmecid took a special care for here. First he had this structure repaired, loyal to its original, after that he had the Sura of Lights (Nur Suresi) 35th verse written to 11,3 diameter part of the main dome to the Kadi-uil asker (Kazasker) Mustafa İzzet Efendi who was the most wonderful calligrapher of the period. For those who don’t know, in the verse mentioned it is written; ‘Allah is the Light of the heavens and the earth. The similitude of His light is as a niche wherein is a lamp. The lamp is in a glass. The glass is as it were a shining star. (This lamp is) kindled from a blessed tree, an olive neither of the East nor of the West, whose oil would almost glow forth (of itself) though no fire touched it. Light upon light, Allah guideth unto His light whom He will. And Allah speaketh to mankind in allegories, for Allah is knower of all things..&nbsp;</p><p><br></p>

Divan Road

<html><p class="ql-align-justify">Divan Road is the road used actively by many civilizations starting from ancient times. This road, which had a very important place especially in the Roman and Byzantine periods, continued to be used in the Ottoman Empire. The road, which was called "Mese" in the previous periods, was called "Divan Road" in the Ottoman period. As can be understood from its name, the Ottoman Empire used it as a kind of protocol road. Viziers, ambassadors or soldiers use this way to discuss the state affairs in the palace. Divan Road was first built during the reign of Constantine I. Over time, it becomes one of the main streets of the city. </p><p class="ql-align-justify">Divan Road, passing through the middle of the Historic Peninsula, extends to Million Stone and Beyazıt Square. There are two separate streets on the road consisting of Divan Road Street and Yeniçeriler Street. Expansion works are carried out on these streets in the 1950s. In this process, unfortunately, many historical artifacts are destroyed. Some works change their places or disappear altogether. Today, Divan Road is not a suitable place for vehicular traffic. Only trams pass through this area, it is closed for vehicular traffic.</p><p class="ql-align-justify">It is possible to walk the entire Divan Road in approximately 20-25 minutes. It is very exciting to walk on this special and fascinating road that has witnessed the stories of many civilizations in history. According to rumors, this road is believed to be the starting point of the world in the Roman period. The Divan Road, which is preserved in a respectful manner, is sometimes referred to as the Way of the Emperors. In the early days, this was a part of the 1000 km long Egnatia Road. With Byzantium, it starts to lose its importance slowly. Divan Road, which has been even the subject of poems, is considered as the widest street of the city until the 18th century.</p></html>

Walled Column

<html><p>The Ancient Hippodrome, which was started to be built by the Roman Emperor Septimus Severus in 203 and continued by Constantine I, the founder of Byzantium, and is known to be located in Sultanahmet Square today, was an important activity area before the conquest of Istanbul. The building, which has a seating capacity of 30 thousand people, was completely destroyed in the 16th century. One of the most important historical values remaining from the Ancient Hippodrome, where there is a lot of information about its foundations and internal anatomy, is the Knitted Column.</p><p>The 32-meter-high Walled Column, which the origin contributes to the visual aesthetics of the Ancient Hippodrome, was made by knitting cut stones on a marble base with an Ancient Greek (Greek) inscription. There were brass plates on the column, but they were removed for use in coin making during the Latin occupation during the 4th Crusade in the 13th century. This situation, which lasted for 57 years, caused serious damage in this magnificent area in general.</p><p>The Ottoman period, which started/ruled in the city in 1453, witnessed the years where the columns functioned as a kind of activity tool that can be climbed for entertainment and sports purposes. At this point, a known miniature depicts the monkey standing on a wooden pole and the men climbing the columns. Other evidence regarding the subject is the writings of Pierre Gilles, the French Author. In these, it is mentioned that two men climbed the pillars, one of them descended safely while the other fell from a height and died. The Walled Column, which has recently undergone restoration, is among the historical heritages suggested to be closely witnessed in the city with its silhouette and cultural importance.</p></html>

Mimar Sinan Tomb

<p>Mimar Sinan is a great architect who lived in the Ottoman period. Apart from its unique architectural style, it also stands out with its productivity. He did not produce works in only one field. During his lifetime, he built 92 mosques, 55 madrasahs, 20 tombs, 3 hospitals, 17 soup kitchens, 48 ​​baths and 20 caravanserais. Apart from this, it contributes to many works that we cannot count. Among his works, Hagia Sophia, Selimiye Mosque, Topkapi Palace, Suleymaniye Mosque, Sokullu Mehmet Pasha Bridge and Çemberlitaş Bath are relatively in the foreground. Nicknamed "Big Sinan", Mimar Sinan also succeeds in being the chief architect of the Ottoman Empire. Mimar Sinan both Kanuni and II. Selim and III. Murat continues this duty during his periods. He describes some of his works as masterpieces. The tomb of this great architect of the Ottoman Empire is now in Istanbul.</p><p>As it is known, Mimar Sinan died on July 17, 1588. Shortly before his death, he built this shrine himself. The tomb is located at the corner of the Süleymaniye Mosque. Just above the windows, the 15-line life story written for him draws attention. Mimar Sinan Tomb is built of limestone and marble. Just in front of the sarcophagus, an inscription with a special thuluth script is placed on the monolithic marbles. It is known that this inscription belongs to Nakkaş Sai. Columns connected by sharp arches carry the dome section.</p><p>There are also three more tombs inside the Mimar Sinan Tomb. One of these tombs belongs to Ali Talat Bey, who is also an architect. It cannot be determined who the other two sarcophagi belong to. The tomb of this special name, which largely assumed the architectural identity of the Ottoman Empire, remains extremely modest compared to the works it produced.</p>

Phanar Greek Orthodox College

<html><p>Phanar Greek Orthodox College, located in Fatih district of Istanbul, is one of the oldest buildings in the city established on the basis of education. This historical building, which is located close to the Balat Coast and a few hundred meters from Fener Ferry Pier, is quite dazzling with its details and architectural elements.</p><p>In the college named Magali Scholio for Orthodox Christians, which was built after the conquest of Istanbul by the Ottoman Empire, many administrators and religious scholars who have taken on tasks in various levels are trained. There are ancient and modern philosophy, grammar, and literature besides religious education in the college where world-famous writers are also taken secular education. The college, which has been providing education in this way for many years, was transformed into a classical education-oriented high school after about 400 years and functions in this way for about 20 years from the mid-19th century.</p><p>It was eventually rebuilt in 1881 as one of the largest-scale structures in and around the Golden Horn. Phanar Greek Orthodox College, whose design elements were brought from France, has a monumental feature with its high facade. The building, which gained a characteristic appearance with its red bricks carried piece by piece from France, contains references to the castle architecture, so to speak. Today, it still serves as an educational institution.</p></html>

Chora Museum

<p>The history of Chora Museum which was able to reach today thanks to the restorations it had gone through goes back to the 6th century AD.</p><p>First constructed as a monastery during the reign of Justinian I, was devastated in the Latin invasion which happened in 1204. Upon this the structure which was in idle position for long years, was repaired by Teodor Metokhite in the 14th century AD. Meanwhile, it is worth mentioning that you can see the tomb of Metokhite in the entrance of Chora Museum.</p><p>After the Ottoman Empire had conquered Istanbul in 1453, many churches were converted into mosques on behalf of spreading Islam rapidly. Upon this Chora Church, which was restorated by Atik Ali Pasha, took its place among the structures which were converted into mosques. In the course of time, it was called ‘’Kariye Mosque’’ or ‘’Atik Ali Pasha Mosque’’. In the building, which was used as a mosque until 1945, the mosaics and frescoes special to Christianity, were covered with parget and altar was added.</p><p>However, with the efforts of Byzantine Institute of America and Dumbarton Oaks Center of Byzantine Studies in U.S.A., all the mosaics and frescoes in the Chora Museum were brought to daylight after ten years of hard work in 1958.</p><p>Years passed, the pages of calendar showed the year 1956 and the Kariye was converted into a museum and opened to public. The frescoes and mosaics which were made in the period regarded as the East Roman Renaissance, can still be seen today, just as while you are visiting Hagia Sophia that has the same destiny, it is possible to go back to the hundreds of years ago.&nbsp;</p><p>Also let’s not go without telling that the period from the birth of the Virgin Mary to Jesus was illustrated in the patterns of the museum’s mosaics. Meanwhile, there is rumour related to the name of this place for being Kariye. In the Ottoman ‘’Karye’’ was used to describe a village out of town. Due to the fact that it was always out of the town from the time it was constructed, people used to say ‘’Karye’’ in other words ‘’Kariye’’ for here and also historians picked up on this name and it reached today with its name.</p><p><br></p>

Yılanlı Sütun (Column)

<html><p>YIlanlı Sütun located in the Ancient Hippodrome, which is also called Horse Square, in Sultanahmet Square, is one of the iconic locations of Istanbul. Yılanlı Sütun was built to commemorate the victory in a great war.&nbsp;</p><p>It was erected in the Temple of Apollo, located in Delphi, on the slope of Mount Parnassos in Greece in the memory of the Greek cities that united against the Persians in 479 BC and won the Battle of Platea, in which hundreds of thousands of soldiers died. The names of 31 Greek cities are inscribed along the folds of the column.&nbsp;</p><p>It is believed that the Byzantine Emperor Constantine brought it to Istanbul. After the establishment of the city, it is believed that it was brought due to the rapid increase in the number of harmful animals such as snakes, scorpions, insects, which are thought to have magical powers. In other words, this column remained both in Greece and Istanbul in total for many centuries and has a history of more than 2,500 years.</p><p>The bronze column, which is hollow and made by melting the shields of Persian soldiers, is a depiction of three python snakes entangled with each other. Only one of the heads of snakes could have been found, and it is on display in the Istanbul exhibition hall for ages at the Istanbul Archaeological Museum. A total of 29 nodes, the height of which is about 5 meters, have survived to the present day, but have fractures in the upper and lower parts. Most of the fractures are likely to occur during transport and placement. By the way, it is recorded that it also moved once in the city, before its current location, it was in the courtyard of Ayasofya (Hagia Sophia). </p><p>In its first form in Greece, there was also a gold 1.5 meters high cauldron, and its total length is believed to be 8 meters. A fire would burn in this cauldron that was not extinguished. The cauldron in question was melted down to cover various costs thousands of years ago. The Yılanlı Sütun awaits your visit in Sultanahmet Square, along with many historical values nearby.</p></html>

Yedikule Dungeons

<html><p>Istanbul, the capital of the Byzantine Empire, stood against the incursions of many different nations from the Huns to the Russians for over a thousand years. The main element of this relentless defense was undoubtedly the fortification system, which protected the city from attacks that came both from land and sea. </p><p>Perhaps one of the most interesting points of the city walls on land that surrounded old Istanbul, from the Sea of Marmara to the Gate of Ayvansaray for kilometers, is Yedikule. It gets its name from its seven towers, which are lined up to form approximately pentagons with thick walls between them. </p><p>4 of these towers were built during the Byzantine period and 3 of them during the Ottoman Empire period. Another interesting feature of this location, surrounded by the Yedikule Gate and the nearby Altınkapı, is that it houses another location known as the Yedikule Dungeons. </p><p>It is located on the borders of Fatih district. Yedikule Dungeons, located in the south of Istanbul at a point where the Sea of Marmara can be seen, is the location formed by the towers at the entrance to the interior parts of Yedikule. In general, the interior of the fortress and the dungeons can be seen. It may seem frightening to some; in Ottoman times, prisoners stayed therein and they were tortured. Some traces, such as foreign-language writings and anchors drawn on the walls by prisoners, stand out. </p><p>Yedikule dungeons have a dark ambience in general despite some lighted areas. </p><p>As the walls can be climbed, you can also view the area and the sea outside. As part of the trip, the places where prisoners were executed in the immediate vicinity and the cavity called Kanlı Kuyu (the bloody well) can also be seen.</p></html>

Cemberlitas Column

<p>Çemberlitaş Column, one of the most important historical and cultural buildings of Istanbul, has been able to survive since the 300s. The building, which was literally legendary, is brought from Rome to the Fatih district of Istanbul. This process takes place as a result of the intense efforts of Constantine I. There are a total of eight separate columns in the Column of Çemberlitaş, which was brought from the Temple of Apollo. Each of these columns weighs approximately three tons. The diameter of the columns is about three meters each. There is already a statue of Apollo here before moving from the Temple of Apollo. In this sculpture, a figure saluting the sun is encountered. When I. Konsantin brings the column to Istanbul, he adds his own statue to the top point. In addition, the cross in this section is destroyed by Fatih Sultan.</p><p>The Çemberlitaş Column, which is very impressive visually, saw its first serious repairs in the 1470s. At the time of this restoration, Yavuz Sultan Selim was at the head of the empire. When the column was first brought from Rome, it measured 57 meters. Over time, the damages that occur due to different reasons cause the length to be shortened. Çemberlitaş Column is 35 meters as of today. Today, the historical building, which attracts the attention of foreign visitors as well as domestic visitors, is shown among the symbolic places of the city.</p><p>The Çemberlitaş Column may be mentioned as a Burned Column in some sources. It is even possible to come across the phrase Constantine's Column. Columns that are like a monumental column are located in the district of the same name. Çemberlitaş Column was erected at a top point in terms of location. It sits on a large base except for separate columns. According to written information, the historical building is seriously damaged by a severe lightning strike here. The statue on it is overturned. Alexios I adds a title with a pedestal as a result of the repair work. Sultan II. Mustafa, on the other hand, strengthens the surrounding of the building with iron rings after a fire. The name Çemberlitaş comes from exactly here.</p>

Binbirdirek Cistern

<p>Binbirdirek Cistern is a historical building located in the Fatih district of Istanbul and dating back to the Byzantine Empire. This cistern is known as the second largest cistern in Istanbul and is estimated to have been built in the 4th century. Binbirdirek Cistern, one of the most important tourist attractions in Istanbul, has great importance both historically and architecturally.</p><p><br></p><p>Binbirdirek Cistern has a structure that originally contained 224 columns, but 212 of them remain standing today. The cistern covers an area of 3584 square meters and each of its columns is approximately 5 meters high. The construction of the cistern may have been carried out by Roman-origin senator Philoksenos during the reign of Emperor Constantine I.</p><p><br></p><p>The cistern dried up over time and was used as a workshop since the 16th century. Sealed bricks from the Justinian period were also found in the cistern, indicating that the structure dates back to earlier periods. Although there is no decoration on the tops of the columns in the cistern, signs of Byzantine masters can be seen on some of them. During the Ottoman period, the cistern was used as an area where silk and thread looms were established.</p><p><br></p><p>In modern times, Binbirdirek Cistern hosts various events and serves as a tourist attraction open to visitors. This building, which draws attention with its historical and atmospheric structure, is located in the Sultanahmet district of Istanbul and is an important point to be discovered for visitors. The cistern, which can be visited for a small entrance fee, is a unique structure that reflects the historical texture of Istanbul.</p>



Dijital Rehber


Our main goal is to contribute to the promotion of countries by explaining the historical, cultural and natural beauties of the countries.

GeziBilen Logo
Google Play Badge
AppStore Badge
AppGallery Badge
Contact Us

0 (212) 274 2121

Balmumcu Mah, Bestekar Şevkibey Sk, No:26 Beşiktaş-İstanbul

  • GeziBilen Gezi Noktaları2500 Travel Points

    Are you ready to explore 2500 Travel Points?

  • GeziBilen ÜlkelerExperience in 4 different languages

    Our all content is in Turkish, German, English and Russian

  • GeziBilen Rotalar185 Thematic Routes

    Dozens of thematic routes exclusively prepared for each city

Other Contens