Sultanahmet Mosque (Blue Mosque) is one of the best known landmarks of Istanbul. But this magnificent structure is actually part of a complex spread over a large area, along with many other building elements around it. The complex, known as the Sultanahmet complex and consisting of numerous buildings, also has a remarkable building that has served as a madrasah for centuries.
The Sultanahmet Madrasah, located in the corner of the outer garden wall next to the mosque, consists of a rectangular courtyard with a pool in the middle and 24 rooms/cells in a row on the sides of the portico supported by columns. It is known that the classroom, which also has a hollow section where the mihrab is and the imam, performs prayers in front of the congregation, is also used as a Masjidin this way. It was an institution that consisted of rooms and classrooms where students stayed and were educated in such a way as to resemble today's higher education schools. Today, the structure, which functions as a building for public purposes, can be seen from the outside. Sultanahmet Madrasah, which has one entrance, was one of the important parts of the complex completed in 1617 and was built by Architect Sedefkar Mimar Ağa.
Most of the cells in the structure, built with cut stones, and most of them have windows. Additionally, each has a fireplace for heating purposes. Two-sectioned windows in the classroom part covered with a single dome are also among the prominent details of the structure.