Istanbul Churches That Fascinate With Their Architecture

Istanbul Churches That Fascinate With Their Architecture

Istanbul Churches That Fascinate With Their Architecture

The biggest contribution of different beliefs and lifestyles to the city is, of course, cultural richness. You can see that this richness is reflected in every corner of the city and is shaped in the architectural field along with the Christian faith.

aya-triada-kilisesi

st-pierre-kilisesi

St. Pierre Church

<html><p>St. Pierre Church is located on a street that descends to Bankalar Street, known for its historical texture on the banks of the Golden Horn of Istanbul and a little heavy human traffic.</p><p>The year the construction of the church on Eski Banker Street was completed is recorded as 1841. It was built by a Catholic congregation. Its origins date back to the 13th-century wooden church of St. Pierre Church burned down once both in the 17th and 18th centuries. Then, on the date just mentioned, a durable church was built and opened for worship. The architect of the building is the Italian Gaspare Trajano Fossati, who also took part in the restoration of Ayasofya (Hagia Sophia).</p><p>In the church in the east-west direction, there is a difficult point of separation between the interior and the exterior. The interior of the church is rather plain in comparison to the outside which is decorated with extremely striking ornaments. It is notable for its columns, paintings on the walls, the naos resembling the sky, stylish chandeliers, and elegant colors.</p><p>Perhaps nowhere in the world you can find such a variety of structures in such a small space. The structure is one of the elements that add value to the ambiance of this region, where historical buildings, mosques, and churches are adjacent to each other.</p></html>
sveti-stefan-kilisesi-demir-kilise

Sveti Stefan Church

<html><p>The Stefan Bulgar Church, which was recently inaugurated by President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan after undergoing extensive restoration in Istanbul, is located on the banks of the Golden Horn. It is between Balat and Fener districts and is also known as ‘Iron Church’.</p><p>The birth of the structure dated back to the permission taken by Stefan Bogoridi, an important statesman in the Ottoman Empire, from the Sultan&nbsp;Amdülmecit I about the construction of a Bulgarian Church in Istanbul and donating the vast plot of land where his house is located for the construction of the structure. The church, which was built in a short time, was called ’Saint Stephen'. The church, however, was made of wood and burned down in 1898. Then the present church was built. </p><p>An important milestone in the fast-moving process towards independence in 1908, the edict on the axis of recognition of Bulgarians as a separate religious community in 1870 was read in this church. The church in Istanbul is considered an important icon that has influenced the increase of cultural awareness for Bulgarians. </p><p>The main reason it is called Iron Church is the extraordinary amount of iron used in the construction of the church. It was one of two iron churches in the world in its era. When the other one disappeared, it remained the only Iron Church. </p><p>It is among the top historical buildings in artistic and architectural terms. The decorations outside the church, which has three domes, are of a rare kind. The section called iconostasis, which is unique to Orthodox churches, is interpreted as a masterpiece. Some of its 40-meter-high bells can also be used actively today. It is a sophisticated work with all the details. The church, which has been provided with many items through donations, is visited by a large number of Bulgarians every year.</p></html>
kirim-kilisesi

Crimean Church

<html><p>Located on Serdar-ı Ekrem, one of the beautiful streets in the heart of historical district Beyoğlu in Istanbul, Crimean Church was built by the Ottoman Sultan Abdülmecid in memory of the English soldiers engaged in the Crimean War.&nbsp;Thus, it is known as the Crimean Memorial Church. </p><p>Even though it is located on a narrow street and concealed among the buildings, this magnificent stone building succeeds in drawing the attention thanks to its neogothic style, and its foundation was laid in a ceremony in 1858 with the participation of the Ambassador of the United Kingdom Lord Stratford Canning, and its contruction was completed in the same year.</p><p>Designed by G. E. Street, the architect of many buildings, including the Court House in London and bearing classical English architecture features, the church is standing in the middle of a yard surrounded with high stone walls. It is told that a part of the stones used for its construction was brought from Malta. </p><p>The two small towers just above the entrance gate are accompanied by a bigger and sharp bell tower. The lengthily and high-ceiling hall takes you to the Medieval times with its leaded rose windows and round-arched windows. </p><p>Closed down when the community decreased in the 1970s, the church was left unattained for a long time as it was not in use; in 1990, it was repaired by the Sri Lankan refugees under the guidance of the Anglican Church's priest and opened for worship for their use.&nbsp;</p><p>The church is open to visits from 9 am to 1:30 pm, and special events such as exhibitions and concerts are organized at times.&nbsp;&nbsp;</p></html>
sent-antuan-kilisesi

Sent Antuan Church

<html><p>The Sent Antuan Church, located on Istiklal Street in the Beyoğlu district of Istanbul, is the largest and the widest Catholic Church in the city.</p><p>The church was first built by priests in the 1230s in the vicinity of Galata in the name of Saint Fransua, and then the church suffered two major fires and was then rebuilt in the same place. But after the fire of 1696, it was moved to its present new location. Its present name, Sent Antuan was given in 1724. </p><p>The current church was built in 1906 by architect Giulio Mongeri, who was born in Istanbul, to replace the old one. Giulio Mongeri studied architecture in Italy and returned to Turkey after his graduation. Mr. Mongeri, who was also interested in photography in Turkey, took very important photos at that time and he was a very successful architect in his field. </p><p>Mr. Mongeri completed the construction of the church in the Italian tradition and in reinforced concrete. Pope Ioannes XXIII preached for 10 years at The Sent Antuan Church while he was the Vatican's ambassador to Turkey before he was elected as Pope.</p></html>
aya-dimitri-kilisesi

fener-rum-ortodoks-patrikhanesi

istanbul-ermeni-patrihanesi

santa-maria-kilisesi

Santa Maria Church

<html><p>It is a Franciscan church located on Istiklal Street in the Beyoğlu district of Istanbul, on the left side on the way from Galatasaray to Tünel. The journey of the church, which begins in Sirkeci and continues with the move first to Galata and then Beyoğlu, is similar to the way of life of the Franciscans, a sect that celebrates poverty and being on a journey without being connected to material values. The church, which was mentioned to be in Sirkeci in</p><p>1453, was built in Pera after three major fires encountered when it was in Galata. After a fire in this area, the church was rebuilt in its present location in 1769 and was rebuilt in 1904 by the permission of Ottoman Sultan Abdulhamit II, and&nbsp;it was converted to its present form by the Italian architect Guglielmo Semprini.</p><p>The icon of Mary stands out on the wall in the direction of Istiklal Street of the church. Above the iron-bar door from where you enter down the church,&nbsp;there is an inscription thanking Abdulhamit II and Ridvan Pasha, the mayor of the period, for their ease during the restoration.</p><p>The Catholic Church of Santa Maria Draperies is built in a neo-classical style in a single-nave Basilica plan, and half-round arched windows are visible on the walls of the two-story structure. Above the marble entrance door of the church, two angels and the figure of the Virgin Mary rising above the clouds are depicted in mosaic stones. The mystical air created in the altar part of the church with a painting of Mary, who survived from the fire of 1678, and two stained glass windows in a half-round form are worth-seeing.</p></html>
surp-hac-kilisesi

Surp Haç (Cross) Church

<html><p>Surp Haç Church in Üsküdar district on the Anatolian side of Istanbul is one of the oldest Christian religious buildings in the region. It was built towards the end of the 17th century on a large piece of land. The notable feature of the church is that it has three doors opening to three different streets. </p><p>Surp Haç Church was built by a priest named Baladi Abraham. It is mentioned in records that it underwent extensive repairs twice in the 18th century. After all, it was built of cut stone in 1880 and takes the present form as extending to a large area. </p><p>The interior is quite simple. Its elegant chandeliers and historic windows stand out. Several paintings and a small number of figures hanging on the walls are other aspects that stand out. In the courtyard of the church, which is covered with a dome, there are cisterns, two small rooms, one of which belongs to the doorman, and a cemetery.</p><p>It is also known as the ’Armenian Church of Selamsız'. It is open to the worship of Armenian citizens. </p><p>It is recorded that it has undergone repairs from time to time. Near the Surp Haç Church, there is an Armenian high school with a very old fountain dating back to 1764, some of the ruins of which can be seen under a residence today. </p></html>
kinaliada-surp-krikor-lusavoric-ermeni-kilisesi

aya-irini-kilisesi-muzesi

Hagia Irene Church Museum

<html><p class="ql-align-justify">Hagia Irene Church, which is the first church of Byzantine, was built on Roman temples by Constantine in 330s. Hagia Irene, which means "Holy Peace" or "Divine Peace" as a word, is located in the first courtyard of Topkapı Palace. Hagia Irene Church Museum, which is visited by thousands of local and foreign tourists every year due to its proximity to Hagia Sophia known all over the world, actually has the title of being the largest Byzantine church in Istanbul that has not been turned into a mosque.</p><p class="ql-align-justify">The Hagia Irene Church, of which construction date goes back to the 4th century and has traces of Byzantine architecture in general terms, was built during the period of Constantine I covering the years 324 to 337. The historical building, which was severely damaged as a result of earthquakes in the 8th and 9th centuries, could not be turned into a mosque as it remained in the place surrounding Sur-ı Sultani, that is, Topkapı Palace, after the conquest of Istanbul. Hagia Irene Church, which has been used for different purposes such as interior ammunition and the weapon warehouse of the Ministry of War, has managed to survive since its first construction without losing its architectural texture.</p><p class="ql-align-justify">The first objects collected in Hagia Irene church, where the first museum works began in Turkey, consisted of Mecma-i Esliha-i Atika known as the Old Weapons Collection and Antiquities Collection. The works moved to Tiled Pavilion in 1875 afterwards were presented to the visitors as a "military museum" until 1949.</p><p class="ql-align-justify">It is also possible to go to Hagia Irene Church Museum, which can be easily reached by getting off at the Gülhane stop of the Kabataş - Bağcılar tram line, by Üsküdar - Eminönü and Kadıköy Eminönü ferries. Hagia Irene Church Museum, which is closed to visitors today, can only be visited with the permission of Hagia Sophia Museum Directorate.</p></html>
karakoy-surp-krikor-lusavoric-kilisesi

Karaköy Surp Krikor Lusavoriç Kilisesi Church

<p>Surp Krikor Illuminator Church, located in the Karaköy district of Beyoğlu, one of the historical districts on the European side of Istanbul, is famous for being the oldest known Armenian church in the city. The church, which was recorded to have been built on land purchased by an Armenian merchant in the 14th century, burned down in 1731 after standing for centuries.</p><p><br></p><p>The religious building, which was rebuilt at the same spot, burned down again about 40 years later and was finally opened with its new face in 1799. The prominent feature of the construction is that two small chapels are together with the main structure. These three different sections were combined by opening arches in 1888.</p><p><br></p><p>Surp Krikor the Lusavoric Church, which existed in the last periods of the Ottoman Empire, witnessed the processes of expropriation, reduction in area, and reconstruction in a domed style and opening for worship in the 20th century. It has been open for worship since 1966.</p><p><br></p><p>The valuable inscriptions on its walls attract attention. It has a simple interior. It is shown as the only example of classical Armenian architecture in Istanbul. A few graves stand out in its courtyard, and next to it there is an old school building with a history dating back to the 1870s.</p>

Hazırlayan

GeziBilen

Dijital Rehber

GeziBilen

Our main goal is to contribute to the promotion of countries by explaining the historical, cultural and natural beauties of the countries.

GeziBilen Logo
Google Play Badge
AppStore Badge
AppGallery Badge
Contact Us

0 (212) 274 2121

merhaba@gezibilen.com

Balmumcu Mah, Bestekar Şevkibey Sk, No:26 Beşiktaş-İstanbul

  • GeziBilen Gezi Noktaları2500 Travel Points

    Are you ready to explore 2500 Travel Points?

  • GeziBilen ÜlkelerExperience in 4 different languages

    Our all content is in Turkish, German, English and Russian

  • GeziBilen Rotalar185 Thematic Routes

    Dozens of thematic routes exclusively prepared for each city

Other Contens