You Must See These Palaces and Pavilions

You Must See These Palaces and Pavilions

You Must See These Palaces and Pavilions

For those who want to see the rich historical and cultural texture of Istanbul dating back to the past, the palace and pavilions that stand out with their architectural features are waiting for you.

topkapi-sarayi

Topkapi palace

<p>Topkapı Palace is the place that is associated with Hagia Sophia, is one of the most important symbols of Istanbul, and is home to almost every member of the Ottoman Dynasty after the conquest.</p><p>Topkapı Palace, one of the first places that comes to mind when Istanbul is mentioned, welcomes thousands of visitors every day with all its majesty, despite its age of 500 years. Having a natural splendor with its location in Sarayburnu, Topkapı Palace received the title of 'Saray-ı Cedid', which means 'New Palace', by Fatih Sultan Mehmet because it was the second palace built after the conquest of Istanbul, but later on, Topkapusu Beach Palace was burned down. got its name.</p><p>Topkapi Palace, which took 18 years to build and opened for use in 1478, continued to develop and grow for centuries with the Ottoman state philosophy. Even Mimar Sinan, the famous architect of the 16th century, added only one building to this rather modest structure.</p><p>The palace, which is surrounded by the walls called 'Sur-ı Sultani' on land, is surrounded by Byzantine walls from the sea. An important part of Topkapı Palace, located on an area of ​​700 thousand square meters, is reserved for Hasbahçe. The palace, which mainly consists of two organizations as Birun and Enderun; In addition to the three main gates called Babüsselam, Bab-ı Hümayun and Babüssaade; The Harem consists of Hasbahçe, that is, Gülhane, and four courtyards.</p><p>With the end of the Ottoman monarchy in 1922, this place was transformed into a palace-museum by the order of Gazi Mustafa Kemal Atatürk and opened on April 3, 1924.</p>
dolmabahce-sarayi

Dolmabahçe Palace

<p class="ql-align-justify">Ottoman Sultan II. The Ottoman palace, which was started to be built by Mahmut in 1843, was established on the shore of the Bosphorus on an area of ​​​​250.000 m².</p><p class="ql-align-justify"><br></p><p class="ql-align-justify">According to what history books, chroniclers and Evliya Çelebi tell us, Yavuz Sultan Selim had a mansion built in the same place before the palace was built. This area was filled with stones during the reign of Ahmet I, and the same mansion was enlarged. The construction of the palace, which started in 1843, was completed in 1856.</p><p class="ql-align-justify"><br></p><p class="ql-align-justify">It was used as the Presidential residence with the proclamation of the Republic. Dolmabahçe Palace has a special importance in terms of witnessing history, as it is the place where Gazi Mustafa Kemal ATATÜRK, the founder of the Republic of Turkey, spent his last days and died on November 10, 1938.</p><p class="ql-align-justify"><br></p><p class="ql-align-justify">Located on the European side of the Bosphorus, within the borders of Beşiktaş district today, the palace has a length of 600 meters by the Bosphorus. As a reflection of European architectural styles, it was built by Garabet Amira Balyan from the Balyan family, who also designed many works in Istanbul, and his son Nigoğos Balyan.</p><p class="ql-align-justify"><br></p><p class="ql-align-justify">According to the news in the newspaper Ceride-i Havadis, the opening ceremony of the palace took place after the Treaty of Paris signed with the Russian Empire on March 30, 1856.</p><p class="ql-align-justify"><br></p><p class="ql-align-justify">Although Dolmabahçe Palace does not have an architectural design that directly falls into a unique school, a unique work has been created by blending French Baroque, German Rococo, English Neo Classicism, Italian Renaissance architectural style, style and inspirations.</p><p class="ql-align-justify"><br></p><p class="ql-align-justify">There are 285 rooms and 43 halls in the palace, which was built as three floors. The 56-columned reception hall and the 4.5-ton crystal chandelier illuminated by 750 lights in this hall are among the most interesting parts of the palace. This hall has the distinction of being the largest and the largest ballroom among the palaces in the world.</p>
beylerbeyi-sarayi

Beylerbeyi Palace

<html><p class="ql-align-justify">Centrally located at the Anatolian Side of Istanbul, right below the Bosporus Bridge, the Beylerbeyi Palace has a substantial place among the Istanbul palaces and cultural heritages.</p><p class="ql-align-justify">Dating back to Byzantine Period, the Beylerbeyi Palace, used to be known as “Cruciform Gardens” was occupied as one of the private gardens of the sultans in the Ottoman Period. Naming the palace as “Beylerbeyi” was based on the manor of Beylerbeyi (Turkish expression for “Lord of the Lords”) Mehmed Pasha built on there in the 16<sup>th</sup> Century.</p><p class="ql-align-justify">The current structure of the Beylerbeyi Palace, attracted attention of numerous Ottoman sultans since early times and evaluated under a distinct category with the manors and pavilions constructed at this area, was commissioned by Sultan Abdulaziz. The construction of the Beylerbeyi Palace, built on the ruins of wooden Sahil (Seaside) Palace pulled down by Mahmud II was taken place between 1861 – 1865 by Sarkis Balyan, renowned architect of the period.</p><p class="ql-align-justify">The Beylerbeyi Palace, used as a summer residence and a place to entertain visiting heads of foreign states since the reign of Sultan Abdulaziz, has opened its doors to the Empress Eugénie of France, Shah of Iran, King of Montenegro and Serbian Princess throughout the history. Available for visits every day, except Mondays and Thursdays, between 09:30 and 17:00, the Beylerbeyi Palace has witnessed the historical process between the dethroning and death of Abdulhamid II (1918). </p><p class="ql-align-justify">This magnificent palace, in where both Western and Eastern styles are blended in harmony, makes an indelible impression with its interior and exterior design. The decorations and ornaments of the Beylerbeyi Palace, consisting of two main sections, Harem (women’s only) and Selamlık (men’s only), as in typical Ottoman palaces, are more elegant and glamorous in the Harem section. A partition of the palace (basement floor) consisting of 26 rooms, six halls and three entrances was used as a kitchen and a storeroom. The Beylerbeyi Palace, drawing attention to the floors preventing moisture and offering resistance to heat, is covered with Egyptian reed matting.&nbsp;</p></html>
yildiz-sale-kosku

Şale Mansion

<html><p>Şale Mansion is one of the treasures waiting to be discovered on the European side of Istanbul, and it is located in the Beşiktaş district. It is located in Yıldız Park, which houses the Yıldız Palace that was built between the 19th and 20th centuries and can be described as a sultanate complex. Behind its large garden surrounded by high walls, it is shown as the most elegant detached building in Yıldız Park. </p><p>Abdulhamid II. Although it looks like it is one part, it essentially consists of three separate parts. The left side is actually in the mood for a chalet, which is also the source of the mansion's name. Because the word ‘Şale’, means chalet in French that is the origin of the name. It has also hosted the most senior representatives from countries such as the United Kingdom and France. </p><p>The other part of it was made for the German King Kaiser Wilhelm II. It consists of 14 rooms and a dining hall which is also known as the ‘Pearlescent Hall’ due to the extraordinarily detailed nacreous ornaments on its walls. Some of the furniture here is known to have been made by Sultan Abdülhamit II, who was interested in carpentry as a hobby. It is true that these are made by Abdulhamid. </p><p>The third part of the mansion in luxury also attracts attention with its ‘Reception Hall’. The carpet on the floor of the hall is said to have been hand-woven by 60 people. With its luxury items, sophisticated ambiance, and 19th-century splendor, the Şale mansion is one of Istanbul's most amazing sightseeing spots.</p></html>
kucuksu-kasri

Kucuksu Pavilion

<p>Küçüksu Pavilion, one of the rarest legacies that survived from the Ottoman period and has a museum-palace concept, is located in the Anadolu Hisarı district in the Üsküdar district of Istanbul.</p><p>The gardens between the two streams, which have been important since the Byzantine Empire with its position overlooking the Bosphorus, were built by the Ottoman Sultan IV. It is known that he was loved by Murad and he called it 'Silver Cypress'.</p><p>In the region, which made a name for itself slowly in the 1600s, as it is recorded in the records, the construction gradually increased in the next century. The first Ottoman palace in the region was built by Sultan Mahmud I. The rare work made of wood was used by many sultans for short periods. In the 19th century, as a result of the western influence in the country, Sultan Abdülmecit had the existing structure demolished and rebuilt, and the present pavilion emerged.</p><p>Küçüksu Pavilion, with a rectangular plan measuring 15 by 27 meters, is essentially a masonry building. The fence railings, which are white from cast iron on all four sides and look like the epitome of elegance with their craftsmanship, are eye-catching. Kasır is not made in the logic of a standard Turkish house. This place is mostly designed for resting place, hunting and boarding drill activities and was commissioned by Nigoğos Balyan from the Balyan Family. The construction of the building, also known as the "Göksu Pavilion" due to the Göksu Stream next to it, was completed in 1856.</p><p>The pavilion consists of a basement and plus two floors. The basement floor was built for the servants, and 4 rooms were built on the other floors, each opening to a large hall. The fireplaces made of Italian marbles of Küçüksu Pavilion, which stands out with its decorations, are worth seeing in themselves. It is no different from an ethnographic art museum, with furniture, elegant carpets and paintings adorning the walls, all brought from European countries. Küçüksu Pavilion, which offers interesting elements in every detail, is shown among the structures that make the Tulip Era of the Ottoman Empire and the works of that period the most beautiful.</p>
ihlamur-kasri

Linden Pavilion

<p>The famous Ihlamur Pavilion, one of the legendary venues of Istanbul, is extremely impressive. For this reason, it is always included in the travel lists and programs of local and foreign visitors. Ihlamur Pavilion is located between Nişantaşı and Beşiktaş. The pavilion, located in a valley, was built by him during the reign of Abdülmecit. At that time, he had two separate pavilions built as the Merasim Mansion and the Maiyet Mansion. The first name of the pavilion, known as the Ihlamur Pavilion, was the Merasim Pavilion. Located on a very high basement, this special pavilion has a single storey. Ihlamur Pavilion, which also has a rectangular plan, is built entirely of cut stones.</p><p>There is a close distance between Maiyet Mansion and Ihlamur Pavilion. Maiyet Mansion is much more modest compared to here. This mansion, which has two floors in total, has four rooms. The historical pavilion, which is quite magnificent due to its high position and can also stay away from the noise, is literally a resting area. Ihlamur Pavilion; Ihlamur Mahalli consists of three separate sections, namely the Muhabet Bahçesi and the Hacı Hüseyin Vineyard. Sultan III. In the time of Ahmet, this place was transformed into a private garden. In the 19th century, it began to attract the attention of Abdülmecit. He often comes to the area to relax. It even starts to host very special guests here. One of these guests is Lamartine, the important poet of the French.</p><p>Abdülmecid included the other buildings around the pavilion in those years. Ihlamur Pavilion is also sometimes referred to as "Ihlamur Pavilions". After Abdülmecit's death, Sultan Abdülaziz and V. Mehmet Reşat also actively used this place. Even Bulgarian and Serbian kings were hosted here. In Ihlamur Pavilion, traces of the baroque style draw the attention in terms of architecture. There is a fee to enter the Kasra.</p>
hunkar-kasri

Hunkar Pavilion

<p>Hünkar Pavilion, which is one of the places to visit with pleasure in the city of Istanbul, is located in the Eminönü Historical Peninsula. The place, which has been registered as an urban and historical site since 1995, offers important traces of Classical Ottoman architecture. Hünkar Pavilion, which is an important part of the building complex in the New Mosque Complex, manages to get full marks from the visitors. When you visit the Hünkar Pavilion, you come across tiles, mother-of-pearl, panels, colored windows and bronze plasters from the 17th century. At the same time, it is possible to find the rarest examples of woodworking right at the entrance of the Hünkar Pavilion. Most of the tile samples here were made in Iznik and were brought here specifically for decoration. It is known that there are currently around 10 thousand examples of tile decoration in the pavilion.</p><p>Some of the tile samples in the Hünkar Pavilion are unique in design and cannot be found anywhere else. There is a secret passage between the pavilion and the mosque. Art historians and authorities interpret this place as one of the most successful and magnificent works of its time. Hünkar Pavilion is not a suitable place to visit every day. It can be visited on the Thursday of the second week of every month. You can use trams and buses to reach Hünkar Pavilion. It is located right across the Eminönü bus stops, right next to the Yeni Mosque.</p><p>Welcoming its visitors with all its splendor and splendor, Hünkar Pavilion, III. It is made with the initiatives of Safiye Sultan, the wife of Murat. It is fascinating with its dream structure as well as the tile decorations in its interior architecture. Being close to the sea also creates a great advantage in terms of transportation for domestic and foreign visitors. This is clearly reflected in the visit rates. In 2004, a comprehensive restoration work was carried out on the Hünkar Pavilion.</p>
hidiv-kasri

Khedive Pavilion

<p>Hidiv Kasrı, one of the historical places that local and foreign visitors show interest throughout the year, is located in the Beykoz district of Istanbul. Located exactly on the ridge of the region called Çubuklu, the year the work was built is known as 1907. Egyptian Abbas Hilmi Pasha had an Italian architect built this work at that time. It largely reflects the architectural spirit and fashion of that period. Its architectural style is referred to as nouveau.</p><p>As it is known, the Khedive is a title given to the governors who served in Egypt, especially in the Ottoman Empire. Khedive Abbas Hilmi Pasha is one of the successful governors of the Ottoman Empire who served in Egypt. In those years, he stayed in Istanbul for a long time in order to break the British population that was dominant in Egypt and get support from the Ottomans. During his stay, he bought two wooden mansions, including the Hidiv Pavilion today, in his own name. Right after these two mansions, he bought the slopes and 260-decare garden around them. Abbas Hilmi Pasha had the mansions he bought demolished after a short time. He decides to have the Khedive Pavilion and a tower that overlooks the Bosphorus built instead of these two mansions.</p><p>In the following years, the British invaded Egypt and the administrative system of the region changed. For this reason, his title of hıdivlik is taken away. Although he was exiled and sent to Switzerland, his family continued to live in this pavilion for a long time. In 1937, it was bought by the Istanbul Municipality. After this process, the Khedive Pavilion remained neglected for many years. In 1984, the Turkish Turing and Automobile Association undertakes the restoration. Today, the Khedive Pavilion is used for various organizations and social facilities.</p>
beykoz-mecidiye-kasri

Beykoz Mecidiye Pavilion

<html><p class="ql-align-justify">Beykoz Mecidiye Pavilion, which is known as "A Mansion Made of Marble", is qualified as one of the oldest pavilions in Istanbul. The construction of the Beykoz Mecidiye Pavilion, which was started to be built by Mehmed Ali Pasha the Egyptian Governor in 1845, could only be completed in 1854 after his death in 1849. After Mehmed Ali Pasha passed away, his son, Said Pasha, the Governor of Egypt, took over the construction process. </p><p class="ql-align-justify">Beykoz Mecidiye Pavilion, which has a symmetrical square plan in general terms, consists of two floors, the ground floor and the first floor. The pavilion, where the colored stones on its walls immediately catch the glimpse when examining the interior, differs from other palaces and pavilions in this sense. This floor of the Beykoz Mecidiye Pavilion, which welcomes its visitors with a large and rectangular planned hall on the ground floor, is entered with impressive marble colonnaded porticos. </p><p class="ql-align-justify">There is a large hall on the first floor of the pavilion same as the ground floor. However, this area, which was decorated in a much more splendid way compared to the hall on the ground floor, was used as a ceremony and throne hall in the representation of the state. While one of the balconies of the hall, where each furniture is carefully selected, overlooks the city and the other the sea, the walls are also covered with marble specially brought from Egypt. The ceilings made entirely of wood gives a magnificent ambiance to the living room.</p><p class="ql-align-justify">Beykoz Mecidiye Pavilion, which is famous for being one of the first masonry buildings built in a new style, as well as pine, lime and magnolia trees surrounding the Beykoz Mecidiye Pavilion, and covers a large area of ​​approximately 70 thousand square meters, is considered as one of the most striking examples of the famous Marble mansions.</p></html>
aynalikavak-kasri

Aynalıkavak Pavilion

<html><p class="ql-align-justify">Aynalıkavak Pavilion offering unique views of the Golden Horn has become one of the symbolic places of Istanbul.</p><p class="ql-align-justify">Aynalıkavak Pavilion, which is important in many ways and dates from 4 July 1985, is also close to Kasımpaşa and Okmeydanı. According to the words of the world-famous traveler Evliya Çelebi, the area where today's Aynalıkavak Pavilion is located was a place of great concern to the Byzantine Period emperors.</p><p class="ql-align-justify">Aynalıkavak Pavilion, which is located within the borders of Beyoğlu of Istanbul and was actually a huge grove in the 1450s, was serving as a shipyard garden at that time. Aynalıkavak Pavilion, which is a center of attention of thousands of local and foreign visitors with its aesthetic appearance and dazzling architectural details, is also called Tersane Palace and Aynalıkavak Palace. Aynalıkavak Pavilion, which is still open to visitors and has various social facilities around it, will be enough to allure with all its elegance.</p><p class="ql-align-justify">Although it has been known as Aynalıkavak Pavilion since 17th century, it is possible to say that its history dates from much earlier times. It is estimated that this historical building was built in a palace complex by Sultan Ahmed III. Aynalıkavak Pavilion was restored comprehensively during the reign of Selim III and has taken its current form. It is among Turkey's most important cultural heritage.</p><p class="ql-align-justify">The built-in sofa arrangements and decorated sunroofs reviving the interior decoration should definitely be seen in Aynalıkavak Pavilion that was converted into a museum exhibiting Turkish instruments and that is open to visitors. The friezes containing the poems of Enderuni Fazıl and Şeyh Galib are located in the composition and divarhane room. In addition to this, the barbecues that make up the traditional form of heating of the building are definitely worth seeing.</p></html>
tophane-kasri

Tophane Kasrı (Pavillion)

<html><p>Tophane Kasrı, located in the Beyoğlu district of Istanbul, was built upon the order of Ottoman Sultan Abdülhamit I in 1852. It was designed in 1841 by the English architect William James Smith, who came to Istanbul to build the British Embassy. </p><p>The Tophane Kasri, which was built in 1849 and completed between 1851-1852, was used on the basis that the Sultans met the military visits in Tophane or foreign bureaucrats who came to the city. One of the most important features of this pavilion is that The International Straits Commission&nbsp;after the Lausanne Treaty, signed after World War II, hold their meeting here.</p><p>Tophane Kasrı exhibits a different structural style from the other works of its architect. It has a rectangular plan and is built in two storys. Following the trend of the period, fire-resistant materials were preferred instead of wood. All the windows of Pavillion are of a round-arched structure. As one of the signs of the transition from Ottoman architecture to European architecture, the baroque decorations used in the pavilion also attract attention. </p><p>During the widening of the streets in the city, on the west side of the Pavilion Top Arabacıları Barracks were demolished, the present-day port buildings were built to the East, and as a result, the connection with the sea was cut off. This pavilion, which was used as a hostel for Disabled Veterans for some time, is now serving at the Mimar Sinan University.</p></html>

Hazırlayan

GeziBilen

Dijital Rehber

GeziBilen

Our main goal is to contribute to the promotion of countries by explaining the historical, cultural and natural beauties of the countries.

GeziBilen Logo
Google Play Badge
AppStore Badge
AppGallery Badge
Contact Us

0 (212) 274 2121

merhaba@gezibilen.com

Balmumcu Mah, Bestekar Şevkibey Sk, No:26 Beşiktaş-İstanbul

  • GeziBilen Gezi Noktaları2500 Travel Points

    Are you ready to explore 2500 Travel Points?

  • GeziBilen ÜlkelerExperience in 4 different languages

    Our all content is in Turkish, German, English and Russian

  • GeziBilen Rotalar185 Thematic Routes

    Dozens of thematic routes exclusively prepared for each city

Other Contens